Thursday, December 15, 2005

A Barenaked good time...

One of my favorite bands was in town the other night -- the Barenaked Ladies. As usual the guys gave a great show but one of the best parts was before the show. We walked in the door and my sister nearly pulled my arm out of its socket. Standing in front of us was Tyler, the drummer. We got him to sign our tickets. The couple right before us had hugged him. My sister asked if she could hug him. He said, “well those were close friends. But I’ll shake your hand and look you right in the eye.”

We were all buzzy and I said, “I wonder if the other guys are around.” Then stopped right next to Steve. At this point, I remembered the great Barenaked for the Holidays santa hat I got from the fan club. So I had him sign that.

We ran into friend Nichelle who said Ed was back under the other stairs. On the way over, I caught Jim. Then I ducked under the stairs, realized there was a line I was not in, so started a conversation with the people at the front (like I was with them). A crew member came out and called Ed time for backstage. I asked if he could sign one more and he said, yes, walk with me.

The really nice guy I was talking to in line had a camera and I lamented not bringing my own. He said “quick, I’ll snap one and email it to you.” but there wasn’t time as Ed was leaving for the stage. But what a nice gesture. There still are cool people out there.

I missed Kevin but meeting four out of the five was awesome.

A group called the LeeVees opened the show - all Jewish and mostly songs about holiday food. They have the same quirky personality as BNL and put on a good opening act.

During the BNL show, Ed and the woman in front of me (who looked like Diane Keeton but maybe just a little younger) started this back and forth thing. She started acting like a teenage groupie (tongue-in-cheek). He threw a guitar pick at her (with remarkable accuracy). It bounced off my husband’s belly and fell at her feet. Then Ed mouthed “you’re so hot.” Then during one of the encores, he came out into the audience and stood in front of her while playing the guitar and she sort of fondled him (like a groupie).

After the show, I asked her, “so... uhm, do you know him?” She laughed and said, “well ... yeah.” But didn’t really offer much more info. She looked too old to be his wife (I am assuming his wife is close to his age), so must have been a good friend. All in all, the entire exchange was funny (not funny business, so Ed’s still okay in my book).

Just a *little* bit funny...

To my blog buddies at the show - you can get the recording here.

No comments: