Sunday, December 11, 2005

Happy holidays (and I mean all of them)

I’ve been getting a series of emails from some relatives (an older aunt, MIL, etc). The kind that are forwarded again and again. These particular ones are focused on what to say to other people at the holidays. They make me uncomfortable.

The most recent one was of a Christmas tree stating that it was a *Christmas* tree and not a Hanukkah bush or another symbol of a December holiday other than Christmas. (Okay, a Hanukkah bush?!). Well, duh. I can see it is a Christmas tree. The point they are trying to make is that they can @@$!$#^% say Merry Christmas to anyone they want.

Okay. Yes, it’s a free country. You can say what you want.

However ...

I say Happy Holidays to those I don’t know or don't know well enough but am trying to be polite. That covers everything for the person I am talking to -- Hanukkah, Kwaanza, Christmas, Festivus, even Happy New Year. Why should I assume that everyone is just like me and that Christmas is the only holiday this time of year. That’s like going to France and expecting everyone to speak English. Man, we Americans, especially Christian Americans are really self-centered (no, not eveyone but sometimes I wonder).

I think it’s my point of view from what I do for a living. I rarely work in English. I am fascinated by other languages, cultures, and the global market. I usually write ‘Thank You’ in the native language of the person I correspond with in email. You know, English isn’t even the most spoken language in the world. Mandarin Chinese is first, followed by Spanish (that’s got to chap some conservative hide). Then followed by English.

So if I know someone really well, I’ll wish them a happy whatever-it-is I know they celebrate. I even know how to write it out in a couple of languages (although pronouncing it aloud is a whole other thing). Chag Sameach. Joyeux Noel. Mele Kalikimaka. Feliz Navidad. Buon Natale. Happy Chriskwanzukkah to all. There, I think that covers it.

3 comments:

Sus said...

"Chag Sameach"

What language is this?

*LOL* A Hanukkah bush! I tell ya, some folk will try to belittle anything and everything they obviously fear, for why else would they make fun of it. Why, as human beings supposidly made in the image of God, (and I dare anyone to tell me what the hell God looks like) do so many refuse to embrace the diversity of humanity. I pity them.

DodysWorld said...

Chag Sameach is a traditional Hebrew greeting meaning "happy bolidays" (Google, my dear!)

Nichelle said...

Amen, sister!! I am so tired of this whole debate on "Merry Christmas" as opposed to "Happy Holidays"!! Its just asinine to think that saying "Happy Holidays" is leaving out Christians....saying "Merry Christmas" leaves out everyone BUT Christians (sounds like something the ultra-conservative wingnuts spout all the time anyway). Enought of this political claptrap - HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!